Built in 1858 and extended in 1879, Heritage Cloisters is one of a small number of remaining convict-built colonial buildings of the mid-nineteenth century.
Buchan’s approach was to respect and preserve the structure’s authenticity, to preserve the building’s historical and cultural value. We undertook design conservation works to the existing brick façades which were seriously eroded from the face by exposure over time. Replacement bricks were hand-picked for their colour and hardness of the original brickwork and façade patterning. All facades were also repointed. Asbestos cement shingles that were added to the roof in the 1970’s were removed and replaced with new slates. Painted steel rainwater goods and lead flashings were replaced in copper.
The result is a return to its former glory as a landmark in the central Perth business district.